The most recent data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reveals that almost 35 percent of all motorcycle accident fatalities in 2019 (5,014) happened at intersections. While this figure does not represent the majority, too many lives are being lost due to vehicle operator negligence.
The Dangers of Intersections
As any motorcyclist knows, intersections can be dangerous places. With cars coming from all directions, it can be easy to misjudge a turn or fail to see a motorcycle in the midst of traffic. As a result, intersections are one of the most common places for motorcycle accidents to occur. Common causes of intersection motorcycle accidents are:
- Failing to Yield - Passenger vehicle drivers may be unintentionally negligent or refuse to yield the right of way.
- Running Red Lights - A common cause of all intersection accidents, drivers commonly run red lights at high rates of speed.
- Distracted Driving - A driver approaching an intersection behind a motorcyclist may be distracted and not realize the motorcycle is slowing down for a red light.
- Weather Conditions - Wet roads, especially within the first ten minutes of rain, may cause drivers to skid or slide when turning. This is dangerous for motorcyclists in multi-turn lanes.
How Motorcyclists Can Avoid Accidents
While drivers have the increased responsibility to exercise more awareness, there are things motorcyclists can do to prevent an accident.
- Wear Bright and Reflective Clothing While Riding - One of the more common factors among motorcycle accidents is the small stature of the vehicle resulting in the rider being less visible to other drivers.
- Avoid Blind Spots - Just like a car needs to avoid big-rig blind spots, motorcycles should avoid car blind spots (big-rigs even more so).
- Drive with Caution in Inclement Weather - Whether it is raining or Florida experiences the slightest “freeze,” drivers can panic when the weather gets bad. Keep a safe following distance and maintain a safe speed.
Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Hollywood, Florida
If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident, it’s important to know that you have rights and help is available. With more than 50 years of experience, the attorneys at Rosenberg & Rosenberg, P.A. have the expertise required to offer comprehensive and efficient legal representation.
Call us today at (888) 499-6206 or schedule your free initial consultation online by filling out our form!