Understanding Florida Road Dangers
According to Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV), in 2020, there were 340,682 reported traffic crashes. Sadly, 3,094 of them were fatal, and 212,162 people sustained injuries. Although these numbers were slightly down from 2019, they are still alarming.
Florida Highways with the Highest Fatality Rates
Florida roads are well-traveled. From out-of-state vacationers to Floridians going to work, knowing the most dangerous roads to travel in the state can help you stay prepared and safe for your summer road trips ahead.
Read on to learn the top three most dangerous roads in the state according to the latest research and data through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s (NHTSA) Fatality Analysis Reporting System (FARS).
The following statistics are from data collected from May through September 2015 to 2017:
- US 1 — At 545 miles long and running from Key West into Georgia, U.S. 1 was Florida’s deadliest highway with 160 fatalities in the summer months.
- I-95 — As Florida’s maint interstate highway of the Atlantic Coast, I-95 was the second deadliest highway with 158 fatalities in the summer months.
- I-75 - Florida’s interstate highway running from Miami to northern Florida, I-75, was the third deadliest highway with 122 fatalities during the summer months.
Contributing Factors to Summer Motor Vehicle Crashes
The common denominator for the higher fatality rate on roads during the summer can be attributed to the following top causes of accidents:
- More inexperienced teen drivers are out of school and on the road.
- Distracted drivers (using cell phones, changing the radio station).
- Reckless drivers (speeding, tailgating).
- Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Drowsy drivers.
Injured in a Motor Vehicle Crash? Rosenberg & Rosenberg, P.A. Can Help.
Sustaining an injury after being involved in a motor vehicle crash is a scary scenario. Not only must you worry about healing from your injury, medical bills and other costs relating to your recovery can also add financial burdens. If another negligent driver caused your injury, our personal injury attorneys are here to help you seek justice and get through a difficult time. We have helped countless Floridians receive the compensation they deserve, and we want to do the same for you.
Contact Rosenberg & Rosenberg, P.A.today at (888) 499-6206 to schedule a free consultation.