A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is caused by a blow, bump, or jolt to the head which disrupts the normal functions of the brain. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), TBI is considered to be a public health concern which contributes to about 30% of all fatal injuries and affects approximately 1.7 million people a year in the United States. The effects from these serious injuries range in severity from a mild concussion to more serious, permanent disabilities.
The most common causes of brain injuries include:
- Falls – Falls are the leading cause of brain injury in the country. Falls result in 50% of TBIs among children ages zero to 14, while they cause 62% of TBIs for seniors over 65 years of age.
- Motor vehicle accidents – Auto accidents are considered the second leading cause of traumatic brain injury among all age groups. Unfortunately, car accidents are the leading cause of brain injury fatalities.
- Striking or being struck by an object – The third leading cause of TBIs, striking or being struck by an object is actually the second leading cause of TBIs among children ages zero to 14.
- Assault – Physical assault accounts for 10% of all TBIs in the nation. However, assault contributes to only 2.9% of children brain injuries and 1% of elderly adult injuries.
- Other – In many occasions, it is difficult to determine the exact cause of a brain injury since the side effects and symptoms do not occur for a long time.
If you have sustained a brain injury caused by the negligent and reckless actions of another party, it is imperative to obtain legal representation from an experienced and qualified lawyer. At Rosenberg & Rosenberg, P.A., we have helped recover financial compensation for TBI victims throughout Florida for the past four decades. Do not risk fighting for your rights and best interests without our Fort Lauderdale personal injury attorneys on your side.
Contact us at (888) 499-6206 to request a free consultation today.