What is Uninsured Motorist Coverage?
Uninsured motorist (UM) coverage is an optional provision that you can add to your auto insurance policy. UM coverage offers protection for you, your relatives that live with you, and car occupants should you be injured in a crash involving an uninsured or underinsured motorist.
Although you are not required to purchase UM coverage in Florida, it’s something you should consider. Read on to learn the benefits.
The Benefits of Uninsured Motorist Coverage
According to a 2021 report from the Insurance Research Council (IRC), 1 in 8 motorists does not carry auto insurance. IRC stats also show that 20.4% of motorists in Florida are either underinsured or do not have coverage at all — an alarming statistic. With that said, if you’re injured in a car crash and you have UM coverage, you’ll be spared some of the out-of-pocket expenses for the following should you need it:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages/disability
- Long-term nursing care
- Medical devices (wheelchairs, crutches, etc.)
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of future enjoyment of life
- Wrongful death
UM coverage will also help with replacement services for things you may not be able to do due to your injury, such as hiring someone to clean your house, do yard work, laundry, etc.
UM Coverage Options
There are two types of UM coverage — non-stacked and stacked. Here are the differences:
Non-stacked UM Coverage
- Less expensive than stacked coverage
- Coverage limits for multiple vehicles are not combined.
- Coverage shown on your policy is the maximum collectible allowed.
Stacked UM Coverage
- Provides higher coverage limits than non-stacked
- Covers you in cars not listed on your policy (a friend’s car, company car, etc.)
- It offers coverage when riding on a motorcycle.
- The limit on your policy is multiplied based on the number of vehicles you insure.
- More costly than non-stacked UM coverage
Injured in a Car Accident? We Are Here For You.
Sustaining injuries in a motor vehicle crash is a daunting experience and can come with mounting medical bills that can put heavy financial strains on you and your family. Know that all hope is not lost, and we are here to help.
Our personal injury attorneys are in your corner to hold the negligent parties accountable for their actions. We have helped countless Floridians receive the compensation they deserve, and we want to do the same for you.
Contact Rosenberg & Rosenberg, P.A. today at (888) 499-6206 to schedule a free consultation.